Friday, July 13, 2012

My surprisingly respectful son.

Jake has been gone on his mission trip for a week. It is so quiet around here. Jake is my energizer bunny, he keeps going and going and going. He loves to debate  (argue) , and he can wear me down but it is funny how the things that seem to drive me  the craziest with my kids is what I miss the most when they are gone. Jake has a way adding much needed life to our house.  He is a senior in high school this year, I don't even want to think about how much I am going to miss him when he goes to college! Okay, we do have one year left!

Near the end of this school year Jake had to present his portfolio. It is supposed to be a  year long project, of course in Jake style he spent the 2 days prior to this presentation doing his year long portfolio. Much to my amazement he had it done on time.  He had to present this in front of his school adviser and us.
 That morning Jake and I had our usual argument and were running late to get to the school.  Once we arrived we walked into the counselors office, Jake shook her hand and then introduced me to her. He then proceeded to come around the table and pulled out my chair for me to sit down.  He started off his presentation , it was about 20 minutes long,  I sat there in amazement, as he gave a wonderfully prepared, intelligent, detailed, witty, humorous presentation. Stopping occasionally to politely answer questions that he adviser asked.   I know I must have had my mouth hanging open in surprise, wondering who in the world is this polite, respectful child ? Who is he , and what did he do with Jake?  After it was over , we were walking back to the van I complemented him on  a job well done, and how I was impressed with how respectful he was to this adviser.   Of course it wasn't long before the old Jake was back arguing with his mom again! It was nice to see this side of Jake, we don't get to see it very often. It is a relief to this mom to known that he does have it in him, that he can be respectful when he wants to be. 

2 comments:

  1. Thats funny Donna, Kennedy did just about the same thing.Jake is always the most well mannered young man when he is here. Donna you have done very well with Jake love him like my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jean, you have been like a second mom to him since 4th grade! Just to let you know that Kennedy is always respectful and well mannered at my house. In fact I love that Kennedy always talks to Ryan, about video games of course! but that makes Ryans day.

    ReplyDelete