Tuesday, February 20, 2018

2. My maiden drive of the RV. Day 2,3 and 4


Day 2: Yep this happened! If only I would have put on an extra layer of deodorant first! 




I started off my maiden drive at a rest stop, knowing the next one was only 30 miles away. I thought, I can do 30 miles, right? The road was straight and no mountains to climb so no time like the present to try my hand behind the wheel.

It wasn’t too bad. Even though I had to fight the wind I did manage to finally loosen my grip on the steering wheel, slightly. Until I would see a Semi truck coming up the side to pass then I once again had a death grip on the wheel. Those big ol' semi trucks made me nervous. They would pull up beside to pass  and you would feel yourself being pulled into them. And they are SO CLOSE!   That is when the extra layer of deodorant would have been a plus!

30 miles went fast and as we approached the rest stop, the sign said the next one was 30 miles. So, I decided to keep going. After all, I did 30, I can do another 30. All in all, I ended up driving 90 miles. Not bad for my first time out! 

The rest of the day went by fast. This part of California is miles upon miles of fruit tree groves. I am always impressed with the perfectly straight rows of the manicured trees. The trees were already full of  pink and white blossoms. 

Jeff and I both got a chuckle out of seeing a police officer pull off the exit road. Get out of his car, open the back door of the car to let his “partner” out for a little potty break!  His 4-legged partner that is! Not sure why, that made us both laugh. Guess you gotta go when "doodie calls"!

Day 3 and 4 are  blurred together. Uneventful which is good. The scenery went from lush green farm land in Northern California to dusty, dry ,brown desert in Arizona, then into New Mexico the dirt and landscape turned red and rocky   There was snow on the ground in the high desert mountain passes but thankfully the road were dry. 

Desert Mountains Arizona

Last night, Monday, we stayed in Needles Ca. Never heard of it? Not surprised. I think the KOA campground ( gravel parking lot)  was the only thing there.  Tonight, Tuesday, we were planning on stopping in  Gallup NM. But upon arrival in Gallup there was snow on the ground. The morning temperatures were predicted to be in the single digits so we gassed up the RV and headed a little farther down the road to lower elevation, hoping to find warmer temperatures.  We finally stopped in Albuquerque NM.  Still cool temperatures but a least we will stay above freezing.

These long stretches of nothing makes me extremely thankful we have an on-board potty! Cause the pit stops are few and far between on this stretch of highway.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Donna! What a beautiful life experience! You go girl, extra deodorant or no. 😉

    ReplyDelete